The leadership skills course is an integral part of our curriculum. The bespoke course is exclusively designed and run for NatMatSci by the professional theatre company The Belgrade Theatre, which has over 50 years experience of working with educational establishments.
Each year, students work collaboratively with a theatre director to write and create their very own piece of theatre. During weekly workshops, students explore a range of ideas and texts, along with learning a range of theatre skills. The drama workshops, which run every Saturday throughout two terms of the academic year, culminate in a public performance at the end of the Spring term.
The leadership course is designed to develop: confidence in public speaking in a language that is not your mother tongue, presentation skills, and team working skills.
These communication skills play a key role in university interviews, as well as supporting onward career progression. Another feature of the course is that it facilitates philosophical discourse.
For our 2019 production of ‘What we see in the Darkness’ we explored the topic of truth and in 2018 for ‘Unmade’ we questioned the meaning of intelligence.
Having had the benefit of exploring intellectual concepts that are not part of the curriculum in this way, our students can rise to the challenge of a university interview confident that they can articulate their thoughts and engage in discourse even on topics that are not included in the A level curriculum.
We are proud to offer this unique course which brings together English practice, presentation skills development and philosophical debate in a professional environment under the supervision of expert course leaders.
What are the course benefits?
- builds confidence in communicating in non-mother tongue in formal and informal situations;
- develops public speaking skills – stage presence, audience relations, persuasive language, voice control, body language;
- supports university application, interview, and personal statement;
- gives you the confidence to lead and participate in seminars and workshops at university and throughout your career;
- cultivates teambuilding skills attractive to future employers – the ability to understand and motivate others, decision making and problem-solving.
The Belgrade Theatre Company is a leading UK theatre company which has pioneered educational workshop programmes for the last 50 years, delivering to young adults life-long theatre skills that are transferable to real-life contexts, and helping to build confident and articulate young citizens.
Visit the Belgrade Theatre Company Website to find out more.